Return to county
history page

Historical Markers
in Randolph County

1. Overlook Park Pocahontas. Located at the scenic overlook along Hwy 67–directly across the highway from downtown Pocahontas.

Black River Markers–these six markers are located along the edge of the upper tier of the Park, north of the parking area. The markers explain the natural and cultural history of the Black River which the Park overlooks. They also explain the important role of the Port of Pocahontas which was located within the Park area.

Civil War Marker–This marker, also on the upper tier of the Park, gives a brief history of Randolph County in the Civil War.

Century Wall–These three large, curved walls in a Plaza on the lower tier of the Park bear the etched likenesses of over 100 persons voted the most influential Americans of the 20th Century. Brochures available at the site identify the persons who appear on the walls and explain their significance.

Civil War Memorial Walk–These six markers are located along a paved walkway (with benches) that meanders along the river and around the Park. These markers explain in some detail the important role Pocahontas and Randolph County played in the Civil War including those years when Pocahontas was Headquarters for the Trans-Mississippi Department of the Confederacy.

2. Turn west off Hwy 67 at downtown Pocahontas onto Hwy 90. At the top of the hill, turn north on Bettis Street. There is a marker on the east side of Bettis Street and the St.

 Charles Hotel location, where Confederate General Jeff Thompson was taken prisoner by Union troops during the Civil War. At the corner of Bettis Street and Everett Street there's a granite obelisk remembering the suffering of Randolph County during the Civil War. Nearby, on the lawn of the Old Courthouse Pocahontas, there's another marker. Located at the northwest corner of the lawn of the 1873 Courthouse, the marker identifies this as the site of the 1837 Randolph County Courthouse that served in that capacity until after the Civil War. The restored 1873 Courthouse that now stands on the site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973. It is an excellent example of Victorian Italianate architecture. Today it houses the Randolph County Chamber of Commerce.

3. Pitman- Located on Pitman Road in extreme northeast Randolph County. Take Hwy 308 east out of Maynard, take Hwy 166 to the northeast just past the Maynard Cemetery. When you reach the country store at Supply, take Pitman Road to the northeast. The marker is located at the site of the historic village of Pitman. It explains the importance of that site as well as the nearby site of Pitman’s Ferry. Founded in 1803 as Hix’s Ferry on the Current River, this was the first ferry established in Arkansas. Known as the ‘Gateway to Arkansas’, Pitman’s Ferry was where the Southwest Trail entered Arkansas from Missouri. Pitman Road is part of the old trail and also part of the Benge Route of the Cherokee Trail of Tears that entered Arkansas just north of the ferry site in 1838. During the Civil War, Pitman’s Ferry was also Headquarters of the Army of Northern Arkansas some 6,000 men strong at this point that blocked Union forces from invading Arkansas along the most favored route. Two important clashes between Confederate and Union forces occurred here. This was also the site in 1838 of the first circus performance held in Arkansas.

4. Supply Follow the route described above to Supply Country Store. This marker is ans older version of the marker at Pitman. This site itself is quite historic. Here four of Arkansas’s earliest roads intersected with the Southwest Trail. In the middle of the intersection was a large well where early travelers refreshed themselves and refilled their water barrels. A supply store was established at the site at an early date where travelers on the Trail, including the Cherokee on the Trail of Tears, replenished their supplies–hence the name.

5. Salem Church Site The first Baptist Church in Arkansas was established on this site in 1818 by Caleb Lindsey. This site is located within the Columbia or Fourche De Maux Community–begun as a French settlement in the 1700s. It’s located along the old Southwest Trail. To reach the site, take highway 308 west from Maynard approximately 7 miles. At the top of a hill, you turn right onto a gravel road at the Columbia-Jarrett Baptist Church sign. This road is a short loop going past the church site (a second church is now on the old church site) and then continuing on back to Hwy 308. The marker is to the left of the existing church building.

6. Pocahontas- Birthplace of Rock and Roll pioneer Billy Lee Riley, who was born to Amos and Helen Riley on October 5, 1933 in a while frame house once located on the marker site. Riley and his band, the Little Green Men, helped originate the unique sound of Sun Records that became a distinctly American musical heritage. His records, Flying Saucers Rock 'n' Roll and Red Hot, are  early Rock and Roll classics.

RANDOLPH COUNTY HISTORICAL MARKER PHOTOS
Click small "thumbnail" to display larger photo. Use your browser's "back" button to return to this page.

The Black River

The River Basin

Native American Culture

Settlement

A Shipping Route

The Black River Today

Randolph County In the War Between the States

Century Wall, First Third

Century Wall, Middle Third

Century Wall, Last Third

The Pocahontas Civil War River Walk Memorial

Pittman's Ferry (Overlook Park, Pocahontas marker)

The Missouri Swamp Fox Is Captured In Pocahontas

General Sterling Price's Raid Into Missouri

Randolph County Civil War Timeline, 1861-1862

Randolph County Civil War Timeline, 1863-1865

Pocahontas birthplace of Rock and Roll pioneer Billy Lee Riley

Pittman's Ferry Marker, Pittman

Pittman's Ferry Marker, Supply

Arkansas' First Baptist Church, Columbia-Jarrett

Site of 1837 Randolph County Courthouse, Pocahontas

Civil War Monument, corner of Bettis and Everett Streets, Pocahontas

Marker at location of the capture of Confederate General Jeff Thompson by Union troops during the Civil War. East side of Bettis Street, Pocahontas.

 

Return to county history page